Zarrow Regional Library features the American Indian Resource Center. The west regional library for the TCCL system also offers a wide variety of services and materials, including a large book collection, 38 public computers, a 3D printer, a large collection of career guidance materials, children's programming and adult computer classes for the public, and a cheerful staff eager to help you find what you need, in addition to one-on-one Book-A-Librarian appointments. The Storytime Room has a railroad theme and storytimes are offered every Wednesday morning, in addition to a Lego night and craft event each month. Zarrow offers two meeting rooms which seat 65 and 82. Click here for the Online Request for Meeting Room
The City of Tulsa had a branch library in the Red Fork community, west of the River, at 2410 W. 41st St. beginning in 1929. It was a 2,480 sq. ft. building across the street from Clinton Jr. High School. Mae Swofford was Librarian there from 1951 to 1971, when she retired. Betty Kennedy then became the Manager, and she remained until 1992.
The new West Regional Library at 2224 W. 51st, which took the place of the Red Fork Library, was scheduled to open in 1980. Designed by Imel & Graber, the 9,545 sq. ft. facility encountered numerous construction problems and delays, but it was finally completed, and opened in 1981. Opening day activities included jousting on the lawn and a hot air balloon launch. After Mrs. Kennedy died in 1992, Laurie Sundborg became the Librarian, and she continued in that position until October, 1995, when Barry Hensley became the Librarian.
In May, 1999, a tornado took the roof off of the south part of the meeting room, though damage to the rest of the building was minimal. The new roof, exterior repairs and painting gave the building a new look, and paved the way toward a more expansive renovation.
In 2003, the building underwent an expansion and renovation to add 5,000 sq. ft. for a larger library service area and a Teen Center. Designed by Dewberry, the refurbished facility opened in October 2004. At this time, the building was renamed the Henry Zarrow Regional Library, in recognition of a very special gentleman and supporter of the library. The clever bison statue in front of the building is called “Mr. Henry the Reading Buff,” also in honor of Mr. Zarrow. In 2005, another sculpture, “Storytime for Two,” was installed. Designed by local artist Rosalind Cook, it was donated by the Zarrow family in remembrance of Mr. Zarrow’s late wife, Anne.
The renovated building, with its extensive landscaping, has been very popular with the citizens of Southwest Tulsa, and continues to be a vital part of the community.
In 2013, Zarrow Regional Library welcomed the American Indian Resource Center collection and Coordinator Teresa Runnels: http://guides.tulsalibrary.org/airc/