What is Mobius?
MOBIUS is a regional group of libraries that share materials. Each library in MOBIUS loans their materials to each other for customer use. Through this service, Tulsa City County Library card holders can borrow materials from several other public library systems, a large number of academic libraries, and a few special libraries such as museums and other institutions. As a MOBIUS member, TCCL can also borrow with another lending group called Prospector.
How do I get titles from MOBIUS?
- Search Tulsalibrary.org for the title. If Tulsa City County owns the title, you should place a hold on that title. If the Library does not have the title you want, click the "Search MOBIUS" button. The catalog will automatically re-send your search to the MOBIUS catalog. The next screen you see will be a search results screen from MOBIUS.
- If you locate the title you want in the MOBIUS catalog, click on the title to go to the full record. If MOBIUS does not have the title you want, click on the Prospector link to continue your search.
- To place a hold on the title, click the "REQUEST THIS ITEM" link located next to the author, title and publisher information.
- In the "With which institution are you affiliated?" box, choose "TCCL".
- On the next screen, enter your first or last name, your complete library card number, and the branch where you want to pick up the title.
- If more than one copy of the title is available, you may be asked to choose which copy you want to request. Click to select the radio button to the left of the title, and then click the "Request Selected Item" button.
- You will receive a confirmation that your request was successful.
- You can view titles you have placed on hold by going to My Account at Tulsalibrary.org.
How many titles can I check out from MOBIUS? How many holds can I have?
You can have a combined total of 20 titles at one time. (Titles remain on your account from the time they are requested until they arrive back to the owning MOBIUS library.) This 20 item limit includes both MOBIUS and Prospector loans.
How long is the checkout period for MOBIUS titles?
The typical checkout period for MOBIUS items is 4 weeks for print materials, audiobooks on CD, and Playaways, and 10 days for DVDs, Blu-rays, and music CDs.
The typical checkout period for Prospector items is 3 weeks for print materials and 1 week for media, including audiobooks, DVDs, Blu-rays, and music CDs.
While these are standard period, they may sometimes vary dependent upon the lending library's policies.
Can I renew titles I borrowed through MOBIUS?
You can renew most print and audiobook materials from MOBIUS up to 2 times, unless another patron has a waiting hold. MOBIUS media items such as DVDs, Blu-rays, and music CDs may not be renewed. A title may be renewed only if there are 7 or fewer days remaining in the current loan period. If you try to renew a title more than 7 days prior to the due date, you will receive a "Renewal Too Soon" message.
MOBIUS renewals may take some time to process depending on the owning library. After renewing, the title may have a "Renewal Pending" status for a short period of time.
Print materials from Prospector may be renewed once. Media items may not be renewed.
How long will it take for my hold to arrive at my local library?
Average time for an item to arrive from the time the hold was placed is generally 1-2 weeks for MOBIUS. Some items may take longer, such as when there are other holds in queue. Items requested through Prospector typically take longer to arrive than through Mobius.
How do I know when my hold has arrived?
You will be notified by e-mail or by phone, depending on how your library card is set up for notifications.
How long do I have to pick up my hold after it arrives?
10 days, including the day is it first placed on the holdshelf.
I can't place holds in MOBIUS. What might be the problem?
You will not be able to place holds or check out titles from the MOBIUS catalog if:
- Your library card has expired.
- You owe fines or fees.
- You have even ONE overdue MOBIUS title.
- You have a combination of 20 MOBIUS items on your account. (Titles remain on your account from the time they are requested until they arrive back to the owning Mobius library.)
What if I lose or damage a MOBIUS book?
If a MOBIUS is lost or damaged, the owning library may charge a replacement fee. If a MOBIUS item becomes due to being overdue, a default replacement fee of $120.00 will appear on your library card. However, the actual amount that will need to be paid is usually (though not always) much less and will be added once it is determined by the owning library. When the actual billed amount is added, the $120 default fee will be removed.
How do I contact the Resource Sharing Department?
The Resource Sharing Department is located at the Support Services Center. Normal office hours are 9:00a.m to 6:00p.m. Monday through Friday. The phone number is 918-549-7395. If the office is closed, you may leave a message on our voice mail.