Tulsa Civic Center Plaza

Tulsa Civic Center Plaza


Tulsa County District Court

Understanding the Courts Systems

The Oklahoma Court System is made up of the Supreme Court, the Court of Criminal Appeals, the Court of Civil Appeals and 77 District Courts. Administrative services for the court system are provided by the Administrative Office of the Courts.

Court Divisions

Civil Division

Tulsa County Courthouse, 500 S. Denver, 918-596-5430 
Civil cases involve a dispute between two or more parties over an injury, their rights or their obligations. Civil cases do not involve a person being prosecuted for violating a criminal law. The court's Civil Division handles noncriminal cases other than family, juvenile and probate.

Criminal Division

Tulsa County Courthouse, 500 S. Denver, 918-596-5231
Criminal court is where the state holds people accountable for violations of criminal law. Only the state, through the office of the district attorney in each county, can charge individuals with criminal violations. Criminal courts conduct arraignments, pretrial hearings, preliminary examination hearings, pretrial law and motion hearings, trials, sentencing, probation-related hearings, and proceedings regarding criminal justice mental health.

Juvenile Division

315 S. Gilcrease Road, 918-596-5913
Juvenile court focuses on different types of cases that involve children under the age of 18 (minors). Juvenile deprived matters involve cases related to the abuse and/or neglect of a minor, while juvenile delinquency matters involve violations of criminal laws by a minor. Other matters include juvenile involuntary commitment for mental health and substance abuse inpatient treatment; children in need of supervision; issues of status of offenders regarding truancy, runaways, inability of parents to discipline at home; and medical treatment emergencies for children when parents are unable or will not consent to necessary medical treatment to save a child’s life.

Probate Division

Tulsa County Courthouse, 500 S. Denver, 918-596-5439
Probate court hears cases related to the personal and financial affairs of adults and children. The Probate Division hears cases concerning the appointment of personal representatives including guardianships for children and conservatorships for incapacitated adults; the distribution and handling of estates of people who have died; petitions regarding trust administration; review and accounting of guardians and conservators; disputes about wills, trusts and powers of attorney; and other matters that may arise under the probate code.

Small-Claims Court

Tulsa County Courthouse, 500 S. Denver, 918-596-5456
Small-claims courts have limited jurisdiction to hear civil cases between private litigants. In Oklahoma, small-claims court sees cases for claims less than $7,500.

Jury Duty / Jurors

Instructions for Jurors

  1. Read the summons: The address, date and time of your appearance is written on the summons you were mailed. You may request to reschedule your jury service to a more convenient time.  Your summons also will include parking information.
  2. Inform your employer: Your employer must allow you time off for jury duty. Employers cannot discharge an employee called for jury service as long as the employee gives reasonable notice of the summons.
  3. Your day in court: Plan to attend court as a juror from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. The time you are released will depend on the court's schedule. Most jury duty periods last about a week, but may be longer or shorter.  Please dress appropriately. Business casual is the minimum dress standard for jurors. Shorts, tank tops or bare feet are not permissible.

Juror Hours: Juror hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. unless otherwise informed by court personnel.

Failure to Appear: A juror who is summoned and who willfully and without reasonable excuse fails to appear for jury service may be found by the court to be in contempt and subject to penalties provided by law. If you failed to appear on the date summoned, write to the jury clerk explaining the situation and include your jury ID number. The address is 500 S. Denver, Room 637, Tulsa, OK 74103. You should receive a response within two weeks of receipt.

Rescheduling your jury service:
If you have not already rescheduled your jury service, you may request your service be rescheduled to a more convenient time. You may reschedule your jury service to a date up to six (6) months from your summons date. You may postpone your initial appearance for jury service one time only. You can contact the Jury Clerk by telephone at 918-596-5529 or by mail at: Tulsa County Courthouse, 500 S. Denver, Room 637, Tulsa, OK 74103

Parking: Jurors are expected to use the Civic Center Parkade lot; entrance on Third between Houston and Denver.  They will be reimbursed.

Jury Service FAQs from the Tulsa County Clerk


Tulsa County Law Library

Tulsa County Courthouse, 500 S. Denver, Room 242, 918-596-5404

The law library includes the Oklahoma statutes, regional reports, treatises on various legal subjects, legal encyclopedias, etc. It is open to the public. Internet access is available. Copy services and fax are available: 20 cents per page (copies), 50 cents per page (local fax), $1.00 per page (long-distance fax). 

File by Fax: Lawyers may file pleadings by fax to the law library. The library will file pleadings in the Tulsa County District Courts. To file by fax: 918-596-4509. For more information: 918-596-5404.

Municipal Court

Municipal Court Quick Facts

Police Courts Building, 600 Civic Center, Suite 200, 918-596-7757

Trial Scheduling Information: 

  1. All trials are held Monday-Thursday at 2 p.m.
  2. Once a trial date is set any fine printed on the ticket is void and the cashier cannot accept payment.
  3. If defendant is found guilty, the judge can set the fine with the additions of court costs.
  4. Do not miss your court date. A licensed attorney is the only person who can appear on your behalf. Failure to appear on your court date will result in a WARRANT FOR YOUR ARREST and a bond may be required before you can be released from jail on a warrant. Missing your court date also can suspend your driver license. If your court date is missed, you will need to appear at Room 220, between 8-9 a.m., Monday-Friday, as soon as possible, to have the warrant removed.
  5. The set court date cannot be changed without the judge's approval.
  6. You must be on time.
  7. If you are under 18, you must be accompanied by an adult.

Municipal Court Jury Duty

Jury duty at the Tulsa Municipal Court usually lasts the length of one trial, normally one day.

Please call the jury line at 918-596-7795 after 5 p.m. the day before your scheduled service date. A prerecorded message will tell you if you are to report, if you have been placed on standby, excused or reassigned.

Municpal Court Quick Links

Pay Traffic Tickets Online

There are only two basic types of tickets that you will receive from the Tulsa Police Department. The first type of ticket has the word "Court" in the box located on the ticket. When you get this type of ticket, you cannot pay it online and you must appear in court on the date indicated in the ticket.

The other type of ticket you can receive is one that has a dollar amount listed in the box. Any ticket with a printed dollar amount (regardless of amount) can be paid online.

Federal Courts

Northern District of Oklahoma

The Northern District of Oklahoma serves Tulsa, Creek, Osage, Pawnee, Washington, Nowata, Rogers, Craig, Mayes, Ottawa and Delaware counties.

Federal Courts

Federal Courts Basics

The federal courts system consists of three levels:

  1. Trial Courts: The United States District Courts are the trial courts of the federal courts system. Within limits set by the U.S. Congress and Constitution, the district courts have jurisdiction to hear nearly all federal cases, civil or criminal. There are 94 district courts in the U.S. with each state having at least one, plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. 
    Oklahoma has three federal district courts: Northern, Western and Eastern District Courts.
  2. Appellate Courts: The 94 judicial districts are arranged into 12 regional circuits, each of which has an appellate court. The appellate court hears appeals from the district courts within its circuit.  Oklahoma is part of the 10th Circuit.
  3. Supreme Court: At its discretion and within certain guidelines established by Congress, the Supreme Court each year hears a limited number of the cases it is asked to decide. Those cases may begin in the federal or state courts, and they usually involve important questions about the Constitution or federal law.

Federal Jury and Grand Jury

The United States District Courts call citizens to serve as grand jurors and jurors in federal cases.  Up-to-date information about serving as a federal juror can be found here.  Questions should be directed to the jury administrator, 918-699-4711.  Cellphones, laptops and other electronic devices are not allowed.

Naturalization and Citizenship Ceremonies

The United States District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma has retained jurisdiction to conduct naturalization ceremonies for applicants seeking citizenship. The ceremonies are presided over by a United States district judge, magistrate judge or bankruptcy judge.

Ajax Helper

Page Belcher Federal Building. Credit: the Beryl Ford Collection/Rotary Club of Tulsa, Tulsa City-County Library and Tulsa Historical Society.

Schedule & Location of Upcoming Naturalization Ceremonies

Court FAQs

How Do I ...

Find a lawyer?

  • Mar tindale.com, an online directory service of attorneys that is searchable by location, area of practice/specialty, firm or more.
  • Oklahoma Bar Association Find a Lawyer: OklahomaFindALawyer is not a complete listing of all Oklahoma lawyers.
  • Lawyers and Legal Fees: an informational brochure from the Oklahoma Bar Association explaining fee structures and considerations when choosing an attorney.

Get free or low-cost legal assistance and advice?

  • Tulsa County Bar Association Lawyer Referral:  For a fee of $25 you receive a 30-minute consultation with a Tulsa lawyer. The initial consultation gives you time to ask questions about your problem, receive legal advice and arrange for further legal work if necessary.
  • Low-Cost or No-Cost Legal Assistance: a listing of low and no cost legal assistance. In order to take advantage of these services you must meet certain qualifications, such as age or income.

Get a document notarized? Any Oklahoma tag agency has a notary public or use the Oklahoma Secretary of State website to search notaries by name, city or commission number.

Find legal forms?

  • Legal Forms Database: Access federal and Oklahoma-specific legal forms, examples and explanations of necessary filings. This resource requires a valid Tulsa City-County Library card.
  • Domestic Relations Court Forms (Families in Transition): a selection of domestic relation forms, with link to forms in left sidebar
  • Oklahoma Court Forms: a selection of forms hosted by the Oklahoma State Courts Network (OSCN)

Where do I ...

Pay a fine?  At the Citizens Service Center, 175 E. 2nd (City Hall), M-F, 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m.  Freestanding drop box at SW corner for after-hours payments. 

Pay a ticket?  At the Citizens Service Center, 175 E. 2nd (City Hall), M-F, 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m.  Freestanding drop box at SW corner for after-hours payments. 

Pay a utility bill?  ONG and SW Bell: At the Citizens Service Center, 175 E. 2nd (City Hall), M-F, 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m.  Freestanding drop box at SW corner for after-hours payments. 

Fill out a police report?  Police Department, 600 Civic Center, at a division house (Gilcrease division, 3436 N. Delaware, 918-591-4100; Riverside division, 7515 S. Riverside Drive, 918-596-1100; Mingo Valley division, 10122 E. 11th St., 918-586-6000) or online.

Get a marriage license?  District Court Clerk's office, 500 S. Denver, second floor.

Get married?  The courthouse no longer provides space or justices to officiate.  Weddings must be performed by officiant, including judges, directly contacted by the couple.

Find land records?  Most records are available from the Tulsa County Assessor's website.  The assessor's office is on the second floor of the courthouse, 500 S. Denver, Suite 215.

Find other court documents? Court records can be found at OSCN.net or ODCR.com. Consult the database scope to confirm that the desired information is included. Contact the local court clerk for records not included at either of these sites.

Visit an inmate? Find specifics of visiting the Tulsa County, David L. Moss Criminal Justice Center here.

What if the inmate is in a state correction facility?  Each state correctional facility establishes its own visitation schedule.  Check the specification location for details. Facility guidelines for visitation are here.

Make bail? The David L. Moss booking clerk's primary duty is to assist with posting bail, release forms and to provide information on how to get someone released from jail. The booking clerk is unable to suggest an attorney or surety bondsman for you to use; please refer to the yellow pages under "Attorneys" or "Bail" for use of their services if needed.

Get a passport? Forms and answers to Frequently Asked Questions can be found here.  Locate a local Passport Acceptance Facility here.

Get a driver license? The Tulsa Driver License Exam site is at Eastgate Metroplex (140021 E 21st St., lower level). This office is open Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-4:45 p.m. Access a list of other exam sites here.

Get a gun license?  Sheriff's office, 303 W. First

Other Questions? AskUs at 918-549-7323.

Legal Forms Database

Access Word, text and PDF examples of popular forms. You need a valid Tulsa City-County Library card to access this database.

View Database